Movies!!!

Movies!!!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Clean Out The DVR Day

Monday is usually Clean out the DVR day here in my underground headquarters. Today I watched the Simpsons, Parks & Rec and this new show on Fox called the Good Guys.

The Simpsons was pretty good, it was a Moe episode. Moe is the best character on the Simpsons that isn't named Homer Simpson, so it had that going for it. The worst character on the Simpsons is Lisa. Every time they air a Lisa episode Satan prank calls your Grandmother, so think about that.

Parks & Rec is awesome, but it wasn't my favorite. Here's my problem: I am sort of in love with Aubrey Plaza's character April, but a big part of this season is how her and the stupid guy like each other. She's always looking at him in that way girls do on tv shows. That guy sucks. So, the show was funny but they sort of got together so it was also heartbreaking. If you're me.

I'm watching the Good Guys right now. I had really high hopes since I first learned about it 3 days ago. It stars Colin Hanks, who is Tom Hanks' son. Who cares, right? But it's also got Bradley Whitford. He was on the West Wing, and he was great in every episode (especially the one where he was hungover and he meets Joey Lucas for the first time). Turns out that if you're awesome on one show, it doesn't mean you'll be automatically awesome on another. I don't think it's entirely his fault, but he should have turned down the job. The show is a wacky, mismatched cop show. Hanks is clean cut and by the book while Whitford is crazy and goes with his gut. Right off the bat we learn that BW's character likes clothes from the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" video and hates computers. I understand cop stories from 1993 that feature an older detective who hates and fears computers, but in 2010 that reall doesn't fly. Here's one back and forth they had:
Hanks: "I found this phone number on a piece of paper."
Whitford: "Great, I'll hit the streets, see if anybody recognizes it."
Hanks [sarcastically]: "Or I could just search it in the computer and we can find out right away."

How would that lack of knowledge be allowed? Oh. And then later there was a scene where a bad guy throws a knife at him and you think it hit him in the heart, except it didn't! It hit the booze flask in his breast pocket! I have never seen that happen in film or television history. Now who's being sarcastic, Colin Hanks? And tell your dad that Castaway sucks. Right now there is, I swear to God, a car chase with AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" playing in the background. Until this moment I wouldn't have thought that could be bad on any level, but they figured out how to ruin it. Don't bother watching the Good Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment